In 1884 Richard Winsor and Horace Snover built a sturdy, fireproof bank to serve Port Austin's burgeoning agricultural community. The two-story red brick building was the center of Winsor and Snover�s leading banking, real estate, and insurance business for an entire ten years. In 1894, former Michigan governor Albert E. Sleeper purchased the building and housed in it the new Port Austin State Bank. In the years following, the building also housed the Port Austin Township Library, a dentist office, and a bicycle repair shop. 73 years later, in 1957, the Port Austin State Bank moved to it's new location a block east of the Winsor Snover Bank Building, leaving it abandoned for the succeeding 25 years. In 1982, Tony & Marily Berry rescued the building from it's abandonment by taking on the challenge of restoring and converting the old bank into a restaurant. The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits opened its door on July 18th, 1984, one hundred years after Winsor and Snover first opened their door to the same building.
Related Historical Links
Michigan Historic Sites Online
See the Winsor Snover Bank Building's listing on the Michigan Historic Sites Online website. Included is a detailed description of the building as well as a statement of significance.
Horace G. Snover Biography
This is a brief biography of Horace Greeley Snover.
National Register of Historic Places
This is where you can find a listing of the Winsor Snover Bank Building on a list containing National Historic Places.